Writing funny sarcastic remarks is tiring work so this time I'll go more natural:
A few days ago I was informed that a number of high ranking officials from my University were going to Japan to talk to their study abroad partners. These included the Associate Vice Chancellor of Graduate Education and Associate Dean of the Graduate School, Direct of the Center for Asian Studies and Director of the Office for International Education. They also wanted to meet with students who were currently doing study abroad.
On Wednesday I got to meet with them. We went out to a coffee shop where we talked about the program and about Japan in general. I had a some mint drink that tasted like liquid mentos (ie the most delicious thing ever), luckily for me they paid for it because it was $7, but to put it in perspective a Coke at this place was $5. It was actually quite nice to sit out sit while a bunch of pedals rained down from the trees overhead.
As it would turn out I'm an anomaly, since engineers pretty much don't do study abroad or take language courses. Apparently they are launching new programs to try and fix that. Also, I found out that not a lot of guys do study abroad either, probably because they are most likely in the sciences.
Later we were invited to the Japanese CU Alumni association dinner. This took place at a nice restaurant/bar. Apparently the head of the association is president and CEO of both the Chiyoda Rubber Company, and Takato Corporation. I got his business card along with the president of the Surugaya Trading Company. The meeting was very unusual to me but a common thing in Japan. Of course there was an open bar, and about 30 people from the Alumni association. The associate itself apparently has about 400+ members. Most are old Japanese businessmen, many quite wealthy. There were a few younger guys who were there mainly to network. The food was very nice and buffet style but this poses an interesting conundrum. In Japan is is rude to eat while others are speaking to you. So of course when I get a little bit of food and sit down everybody wants to talk to me. This is true of everyone else so in the end despite the fact that there is a ton of great food it must be disposed because nobody is socially allowed to eat it except a few quick bite here and there. Everyone gave a little speech about themselves and their relation to the university.
Despite the dues being $70 that they dropped for us, I still had to go home hungry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment