Friday, October 24, 2008

Japanese Food Daibouken Part 1



Matcha Azuki Mushi Keki (Green Tea Azuki Steam Cake)

Matcha is green tea, Azuki is a sweet bean and a Mushi Cake is a steam cake. The actual cake portion tastes like pound cake, you can't really tell there's green tea. The Azuki beans are sweet though, kinda like baked beans. Needless to say they ruin the whole thing. I actually didn't buy this one, Abi did and she thoroughly enjoy them.

Rating: 2/5



Calbee Olive Oil Potato Chips (Exactly what it sounds like)

Olive Oil Potato Chips. It tastes like it sounds, olive oily with very slight salt. They are pretty good.

Rating: 4/5



Tonkatsu Sando (Fried Pork Sandwich)

For the not-in-the-know "Tonkatsu" is a fried pork patty usually served with a special sauce the resembles barbeque. "Sando" is simply a shortened Japanese word for "Sandwich." Tonkatsu a Japanese thing but what makes this interesting is that they put it into a sandwich. It's more-or-less like a chicken sandwich except it's pork and on white bread. The sauce is somewhat sweet. Overall it's not bad as Tonkatsu is one of the more bearable and dare I say good Japanese dishes.

Rating: 3/5



Nori Potato Chips (Seaweed Flavored Potato Chips)

Kinda sea-salty and with Nori which has a somewhat metallic taste. It definitely smells like the ocean though and the green pieces needed to be picked out of my teeth and facial hair for the rest of the day. These are actually kinda good.

Rating: 4/5



Subway Herbdog (It's a sandwich sausage)

A Subway Sandwich that is mostly just a seasoned sausage in a sandwich bun. Not terribly nasty like American Subway, but this isn't really a sandwich either.

Rating: 3/5



Sprite 3G (Sprite Energy Drink)

This is a Sprite Energy Drink. It always comes in a aluminum bottle. The 3Gs stand for Green Tea Caffine, Garauna, and Glucose. While probably massively unhealthy it is pretty good. It tastes like Sprite with a bit of Vitamin C, a little sour. Definately the best energy drink I've ever had.

Rating: 5/5



Pepsi White (Yogurt Pepsi)

This edition's Coup de Grace is Pepsi White. A recently released and most likely limited run soda it is a combination of Pepsi and yogurt. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened here:

Pepsi Exec: Let's mix Pepsi and fermented milk and package it such that it looks like a bottle of semen.

*approving chatter*

Well they suckered at least one person in to buying one so it's not a total failure, and I drank the whole thing. It's odd. The flavor is most similar to Calpis, another dairy flavored soft drink. It's hard to describe, it's not very sweet but it's not completely awful either. I tried it once and it didn't kill me but I don't think I'll go back for seconds.

Rating: 2.5/5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want a Sprite 3G :) Can you bring me back one?

Anonymous said...

So relieved you found real meat in Japan. I was afriad you'd come back and I'd have to count my fish each day. Mom cooked up a couple of frozen "lobstas" today. They catch them then freeze them. You're suppose to defrost them over night then as they revive shove'em head first in to boiling water. PETA know about this? I had to get a grief counsoler for the fish.